Thursday, September 28, 2006

Effective C#

I found this book difficult to read, not because it was technically over heavy, but because the style didn't seem to let me really get into it. I've not been able to pin down exactly what it was about the style; maybe it was too bullet-point like and lacked depth.

Style aside this is a very good book, especially for anyone who is migrating from C/C++ to C#. In fact I'd say this book is essential if you are coming to C# from a C/C++ background. I wish I'd read this book when I first started programming in C#.

The book covers C# language, .Net mechanics, and even touches on some design issues. I found that I wanted more depth from the book, especially on some of the chapters about design. To be fair to the author he does say that he is not attempting to write a book about design, and that such topics are best dealt with by entire books rather than a few chapters, but I think a little more detail and discussion would have added to the book.

Unfortunately this book only covers .Net 1.1. I've been unable to find any news about a .Net 2.0 revision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home